Regional Skin & Laser is committed to offering the most advanced and effective skin rejuvenation treatments treatments available, one of which is SkinPen®—a new-generation microneedling device designed to improve the appearance of the skin.
A minimally invasive, non-surgical treatment, the SkinPen® relies on the body’s natural repair mechanism to correct skin issues and create a healthier, more refreshed-looking complexion. With the help of a SkinPen® treatment at our Dallas-area med-spa, the natural process of skin repair is triggered through directed micro-injuries, resulting in the regeneration of collagen protein in the skin tissues. When skin is damaged, growth factors and cytokines are released to direct a site-specific repair mechanism.
What are the Benefits of SkinPen®?
The SkinPen® is widely considered the most effective example of microneedling for virtually all skin types and tones. Microneedling is a popular medical spa option that can effectively erase signs of skin aging by restoring weak collagen. The microscopic piercings delivered through the SkinPen® ensure there is enough damage to trigger a healing response, but without permanent damage to the skin.
The advanced device can produce a number of benefits, not limited to:
- Clearer, smoother skin
- Significant reduction of scars, wrinkles, stretch marks, large pores, and other blemishes
- Ability to treat lax, thin, or uneven skin
- Safe for virtually all skin tones and types*
- Adjustable penetration depth
- An often brief treatment session with little opportunity for complications or discomfort
Additionally, barrier disruption between the skin cells is only temporary, so there should be no effect on skin function.
What Areas Does SkinPen® Treat?
Treatment with the SkinPen® is not limited to the face – it is effective when used on other parts of the body as well, such as the neck, décolletage, hands, legs, and abdomen. Adjusting the penetration depth makes the SkinPen® suitable for regions with thicker skin. This ability to adjust the needling depth also makes the SkinPen® more versatile than traditional skin rollers.
At Regional Skin & Laser Center, the SkinPen® is often combined with other non-surgical treatments – such as the VI® chemical peel – to give patients the ultimate medical spa experience.
How Does the SkinPen® Work?
There are many processes that occur at the physiological level in response to skin damage, and the SkinPen®’s mechanism of action relies on these processes. There are three distinctive steps involved in the body’s natural repair of skin damage:
- Inflammation: The body’s first response to any damage is inflammation. On a cellular level, inflammation works as a signal to trigger the body’s repair system. During this step, blood is rushed into the damaged site, temperature rises, and an effort is made to flush out debris by gently gliding the device over the treatment area.
- Proliferation: Once any debris is removed, the application of micro-needles uncovers a fresh foundation for the growth of new replacement cells and tissues. In skin, there are two primary foundation materials: collagen and elastin. These proteins are the predominant elements of the extracellular matrix.
- Remodeling: After proliferation, a new type of collagen (type III) forms a tighter network, bringing the overlying skin closer. A contraction of the subdermal skin layers creates the look of tighter and more youthful-looking skin.
Moreover, a SkinPen® treatment session typically does not exceed 30 minutes in length. Since the SkinPen® procedure is minimally invasive, there is usually no downtime needed. Slight redness and swelling may be noticed soon after the procedure, but these effects should dissipate within 72 hours.
Is SkinPen® Safe?
A product trusted by both medical professionals and patients, the SkinPen® is generally safe for all skin types and all ages. The SkinPen® eliminates the possibility of cross-contamination by designing a model with single-use cartridges. Also, there is a bio-sheath made specifically for the SkinPen®, which acts as a sink to collect fluids released in the process of creating micro-injuries.
The reliable SkinPen® system has a piercing efficiency of 1,600 pricks per second, which makes it quite effective. Speed this high is achieved through 14 stainless-steel medical-grade needles.
How Long Do SkinPen® Results Last?
The revitalizing effects of the SkinPen® treatment are often immediately apparent and typically last for a few months.* In many cases, we advise patients to come in for follow-up treatments to maintain results. While these sessions are usually best spaced out roughly four weeks apart, we can determine the best course of action for you after a first-time consultation.
Are you interested in a SkinPen® consultation? If so, contact Regional Skin and Laser Center for your appointment with an experienced medical professional.